i hope you get cancer™

Monday, May 16, 2005

Hard disks. How will future generations judge us?

I've never been one to shy away from controversy. The self-appointed elite busybodies of the politically-correct chattering classes hold no fear for me. Like outgoing Conservative party leader Michael Howard, I tell it like it is. That's just the way I am. So I'll stand up and be counted even if you won't, and say it straight. Hard disks are the work of the devil. They feature in more and more electronic items, and are thus rendering more and more such goods TOTALLY FUCKING USELESS. Last December my 30GB iPod died, because the hard disk got dropped on its head. The good news of its replacement by the brilliant, unbreakable iPod Shuffle last month has since been overshadowed by the death of my iBook's hard drive. Hence as I write I am at my desk in the office. I can't go online at home, I can't work, I've lost all my photos and the remaining gigabytes of my iTunes music (that which hadn't vanished forever with the original iPod). The Sky+ (think TiVo) makes a bloody racket and needs rebooting every few weeks all because of the hard disk. I only hope the boffins in white coats manage to ship mega-GB flash memory drives before their diabolical competitors stuff hard disks into many more hitherto indispensable products. Cars? Toasters? Pork pies?