i hope you get cancer™

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Big Brother 1

I know, I know, I know. But after a dip in 2002-3, Channel 4's Big Brother has been rejuvenated these past two years, almost reaching the standards of Season 2 in 2001. Every year, when Paul Oakenfold's theme tune heralds the start of summer, it's the same thing: * Not going to watch it this year * Look at the boring people in it this time * Then a few days or weeks later, I'm gripped This year, sure enough, it happened again. At the weekend I was sure BB had jumped the shark, but by Sunday there were some interesting dynamics opening up between some of the housemates. There's Roberto (my favourite), a comic-book Italian who belongs in national costume, he's so stereotypical. There's Makosi, Zimbabwe-born nurse who acts like she's a princess and looks like Foxy Cleopatra. Mary the witch, of course. Derek, the gay black Tory who acts like Wilfred Hyde-White and tries to be the mother of the house. And Kemal, your standard-issue camp-as-a-row-of-pink-tents queen (think Marco squared from BB5). Bless him, although he tries hard with the frocks, the saris and the eyeliner, he hasn't got the looks, body language or personality for it. He's one of those people who becomes his mother every time he speaks, and he reminds me of noone so much as Mrs Doyle from Father Ted. More BB later.